The first and most important step toward good health during your senior years is to eat right. As always recommended by geriatricians and providers of Hospice Care in San Antonio Texas, the key to preventing the body to deteriorate is through consumption of the right types of food.
What are these “right types of food” that we are talking about?
1. Nuts. Since it is already harmful to eat fatty meats when you reach the age of 70 because of their high saturated fat contents, you can take nuts as a healthy substitute for protein. The following choices would be sufficient sources of Omega-3, unsaturated fats, fiber and protein which you should have at least once a week:
- Brazil nuts
- Macadamia nuts
2. Fish. Choosing to eat fish regularly would reduce the risk of plaque build-up in your arteries. It will also decrease blood triglyceride levels, help lower blood pressure, and lessen the possibility of sudden deaths. Among the top picks you can eat are:
3. Olive oil. This particular healthy type of oil boosts and maintains your heart’s performance because it has high amounts of monounsaturated fats and beneficial plant compounds. As seen by providers of Senior Care in San Antonio Texas, it is also associated with the significant decrease of bad cholesterol levels and the increase of good cholesterol levels in the body.
4. Fruits and Vegetables. Consumption of colorful fruits and vegetables means you are feeding your body satisfactory amounts of various vitamins, minerals, fiber, and anti-aging phytonutrients. While you eat different types of these produce, you also provide your body loads of antioxidants which help you get away from the harsh effects of diseases. You should try including the following in your daily diet:
- Cranberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Apples, Cherries, Oranges, Blackberries
- Spinach, Broccoli, Kale, Cauliflower, Asparagus, Onions, Avocado, Artichokes, Carrots, Sweet Potato, Pumpkin
5. Legumes. If you need to maintain your blood glucose and insulin levels, Four Seasons Hospice recommends that you choose to eat legumes regularly. Additionally, this food type is also rich in antioxidants and protein which would help you stay away from numerous health issues. Some of the legumes you can try to cook at home are:
- Black beans
- Soy beans
- Split beans
- Cannellini beans
The gradual changes and deterioration of the organs in our body are inevitable. It could never be stopped. Nonetheless, we can always keep up, make our body always healthy, and stay away from health problems. All these, we can accomplish by making healthy diet choices. Evaluate your diet today and change it if necessary.